East Glos Club
Celebrates 125 Years. 1885 –2010 crack
Only 8 years younger than the famous All England Club in Wimbledon, East Glos Club has grown through many guises to become one of the top clubs in the UK.
From it’s humble beginnings, with a tea pavilion, which has now become the hut for the Grounds men’s tools, only six tennis courts and two hockey pitches, it now proudly boasts the following:
Tennis Courts: 27 in total, 10 astroturf (floodlit), 7 tarmacadam all weather (floodlit), 10 grass courts (May - September) a dedicated Kids Zone. With an LTA affiliation with British Tennis it is recognised as a Club Mark performance Club.
In addition to this for squash and racquetball there are: 4 courts, two with glass backs for viewing and it is now an England Squash Silver Award Chartered Club.
There is a practice Astroturf hockey pitch that is used under floodlights during the winter months.
EG started out purely as a Cricket Club around 1883 though the exact date of its’ inauguration has not been recorded. It was not until 1885 that tennis, the game with which EG is now synonymous was played. In the decades that followed croquet, lacrosse, archery, men’s as well as women’s hockey and even baseball has been played on its hallowed turf.
Croquet was introduced into the sporting line up in 1899 but split from its parent Club a few years later and the clubs have existed peacefully side-by-side to this day.
In 1920 the 9 acres of the Club was purchased from Charlton Park Estate for the daunting price of £18,000! One doesn’t dare think of the value of the grounds today. Since this date it has been a member’s club and throughout the decades they have nurtured the growth and development of East Glos to make it the premier club in Gloucestershire. It attracts members of all ages who play at all levels. Whilst there is plenty of competitive sport available the social scene is also extremely popular.
In the early 1950’s the Club’s Open Junior Tournament grew in popularity with top International players viewing the event as ideal for pre-Wimbledon practice on grass. Tim Henman, Jo Durie, Sue Barker, James Delgado and many of the top international Davis Cup players have all visited the Club to play in this tournament.
Our current President Mary Eyre MBE (awarded for her services to England Hockey), and President of the Glos.LTA has had a family association with the Club since the 1900’s and herself became a member in 1935. She was the last British woman player to reach the Quarter Finals at Wimbledon in 1953 in the Ladies Doubles. Mary also played hockey at international level and umpired hockey and tennis internationally. She continues to be an inspiration to everyone.
DIARY DATE: Saturday 5th June 11 am – 3 pm East Glos will be welcoming visitors of all ages for a Fun Open Day. There will be lots of opportunities to try racquets, get free coaching, pit yourself against ball machines, watch demonstration matches and win great prizes. There will also be membership incentives on the day. Refreshments will be available and free parking.
For more information visit: