Friendly Fish Cakes
Food writer Karen Maidment shows you how to make friendly Fish Cakes
In continuing with our serialisation of new cookery book, Meals That Heal, written by Karen Maidment who runs the Pure Body Balance Integrated Health Clinic based in Cheltenham, this month Karen shows you how to make Friendly Fish Cakes, using fresh crab which you can buy precooked from the fish counter at your local supermarket. It costs no more than your regular salmon fillets.
FRIENDLY FISH CAKES
• 500g organic sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered;
• 500g fresh crab meat (a mixture of brown and white meat);
• 1 organic lemon, rind grated and juice squeezed;
• Large handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped;
• 1/2 organic red chilli, de seeded and finely chopped;
• 1 organic red onion, finely chopped;
• Sea salt, to taste;
• Freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
1. Boil your potatoes in a pan of simmering filtered water until soft. Drain and return to the pan.
2. Now pre-heat your grill to high.
3. Mash your crab meat, parsley, salt and pepper into the potatoes.
4. Now fold in the chilli and onion.
5. Divide into 12 portions and shape into small balls with your hands. Lay the balls down onto a grill tray and press down lightly with the back of a spoon to form burger-type shapes.
6. Grill until nicely browned on both sides.
7. Squeeze the fresh lemon across the crab cakes and serve with salad and simple salsa or sweet potato wedges.
Meals That Heal cookery book has low sugar, gluten, dairy and soy free recipes for delicious modern-day meals which will help alleviate problems such as IBS and one is sure to lose a few pounds in the process due to the healthy way Karen shows you how to cook.
Meals that Heal recipe book costs £25.00 and is available from