Carrot & Ginger Loaf
(Makes 1 small loaf)
• 1-6 organic eggs
• 1/4 cup coconut sugar
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 1 tsp organic baking powder
• 1/2 cup organic coconut flour, sifted
• 1/4 cup/65 ml organic coconut oil, melted
• 1/2 cup/85 ml coconut milk
• 2 medium organic carrots, grated
• 2 thumb-sized pieces of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated.
1. Pre-heat your oven to 170 degrees celsius (325 degrees Fahrenheit or gas mark 4).
2. Whisk the duck eggs, melted coconut oil, coconut sugar, ginger, carrot and salt into a bowl.
3. Sift the coconut flour and baking powder into a separate large bowl.
4. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and whisk thoroughly, using a hand held blender to create a thick batter – there should be no lumps.
5. Line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper and pour the mixture in.
6. Bake for 45 minutes. The bread is ready when a skewer comes out clean and the top of the bread has browned.
7. Turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
Adapted from Meals That Heal cookery book; low sugar, gluten, dairy and soy free recipes for delicious modern-day meals by Karen Maidment.
For those interested in more information, Karen is hosting a free talk at the Isbourne Centre on 14th May. The event will help you look and feel better by leaving negative eating habits behind. You will learn about food villains and heroes and how to transform your body, end bloating, weight gain, mood swings, food sensitivities and digestive upsets.
Meals that Heal is available to buy via www.purebodybalanceshop.co.uk or www.amazon.co.uk and is priced at £25.00.